Skip to content
The old cemetery of St. Nicholas’ Church at Kill-St-Anne dates at least to the 14th century, and it was in use up until the early 1960s. All that now remains of the 14th-century church are two large gothic arches and what appears to be a bell-tower.
The gable end on the east-facing wall outlines what would have once been the chancel of the church. The smaller church located inside the archways was built in 1771 and was a Church of Ireland chapel.
The east wall of this church boasts a beautiful tracery window which, it is said, once belonged to the older church. Inside the chancel is a beautifully-ornamented gothic archway which separates it from the nave.
In the graveyard are some of the finest examples of 17th-century tombs and headstones in Munster. One of the oldest of the headstones is dedicated to Jane Thomas; it is a Georgian style memorial dated to 1689. The other headstone dating to 1689 is a scrolled-design memorial and is dedicated to Sylvestra Jessup and her daughter, Sara-May.
Two tombs in the cemetery are also 17th-century in date. The first of these is dedicated to the Vowell family and is dated to 1681, while the other tomb is dedicated to the Peard family and dates to 1683.
There is also a mausoleum dedicated to the Peards (who were landlords in the area) in the graveyard, and this is thought to be 18th-century in origin.
Facing eastward, alongside the churches, is the Barrymore Mausoleum. It is here that the famous lords of Barrymore are buried with their families. Interred here are the remains of David, the first Earl of Barrymore, and his wife, as well as his relatives from Fota Island near Cobh in Co. Cork.
The cemetery is both a Church of Ireland and a Catholic graveyard. The north-east corner is largely dedicated to those of the Church of Ireland faith. Here, the memorials take the form of plain crosses and gabled tombs. The rest of the cemetery is Catholic, where the memorials range from Celtic crosses to scrolled headstones to table tombs.