Skip to content
Barrymore Castle at Castlelyons was built by William de Barry in 1204, and was the main residence of the Barry family until 1771. It was a stately house built on the ruins of the Ó Liatháin fortress.
It was square in plan with a central courtyard. It had a large hall on one side, opposite which was the kitchen, which was watered by an aqueduct. Within the castle was a large gallery in which were displayed the family portraits, including that of Richard, the first Earl of Cork.
The castle’s gardens were watered by a canal and also incorporated a deer-park.
Nothing now remains of the castle, save the arches upon which it once stood.
It burned down in 1771. According to sources, the fire started when two workmen left a hot soldering iron on some woodwork while repairing the roof.